Have you ever had zucchini bread? Are you reading this and thinking I’m absolutely nuts? Maybe it is just a Midwest thing, but this quick bread is a summer staple for me and my home! And this spiced zucchini bread is decadently sweet and moist. The perfect little snack to go with a morning cup of coffee! And no, before you ask, you absolutely cannot taste the zucchini. But if it makes you feel better by telling yourself you’re eating a vegetable for breakfast…then I’m right there with you!
Let’s talk about the star of the show:
The purpose of including the zucchini in this sweet bread is for its moisture. (Sorry in advance if you hate the word moist…you’ll be seeing it a lot in this post) Zucchini holds a TON of water, which in turn makes your bread amazingly tender. Added bonus, a use for all of that zucchini growing in your summer garden! Last year I got gifted a TON of zucchini from my friend’s garden. This year I’ll be growing my own!
Additionally, one of the great things about this recipe is that you can mix it by hand, no need to haul out the mixer!
Let’s Make Some Spiced Zucchini Bread!
Start by grating your washed zucchini. You can peel them if you choose, but I leave the skin on. It doesn’t make a huge difference and it adds some fiber! You’ll need approximately 3 cups, grated. For me, that was one large zucchini. You can adjust the amount as you’d like, as little as 2 cups or as much as 4 cups. Keep in mind, the more zucchini you have the more moist it will be.
After grating you will sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. The sifting will prevent you from having a lumpy batter when you mix in in! Next you will add the wet ingredients and sugar to a bowl and whisk to combine. When you are done you will add the dry ingredients and fold in until you have a homogeneous batter. Add the zucchini. Make sure not to overmix the batter! Over-mixing leads to gluten formation. We want this bread to be tender instead of chewy, so low-gluten formation is needed. Throw it in the oven and we’re ready to go! One hour in the oven and you’ll have the most delicious spiced zucchini bread EVER. Let’s get baking!
Spiced Zucchini BreadCuisine: BreadDifficulty: Easy
3 cups grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 canola oil (or any neutral flavored oil)
1 1/4 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 9″x5″ loaf pans, spraying the sides with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Grate zucchini into a bowl and set aside
- Add eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Mix well until there are no streaks of flour.
- Add grated zucchini to batter and fold in gently using a rubber spatula.
- Divide batter between 2 loaf pans.
- Set pan on middle rack in oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean and there are no “wet spots” noted on the top.
- Cool and enjoy!
- This recipe yields two loaves.