Okay, I know what you’re all thinking…“I already have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe”…but prepare to be wrong. This recipe has been proclaimed by all that I’ve made them for that these are the BEST chocolate chip cookies they’ve ever had. And I’ll tell you why:
Yes, it’s a thing. A very important ratio (if you ask me) in a cookie. My personal belief is that a great chocolate chip cookie should have a good crunchy edge and a soft, fluffy, just-barely-done middle. And I’ll tell you my secret to getting my cookies this way (and no, it’s not chill time!)…shortening. Yes, that’s right, shortening! I sub half my fats for shortening and it helps my cookies not over-spread so that it can keep that light, fluffy texture. In my opinion, there is nothing worse that a flat, crunchy cookie.
Obviously needed for a chocolate chip cookie! I am a huge fan of nestle toll house chocolate chips. Maybe I’m a snob, but I can taste the difference between generic and nestle. Plus you can buy a bag as big as your torso at Costco for way cheap. Other suitable substitutions are any of the “fancy” chocolates at the store. I especially love chopping up a dark chocolate bar to put in there!
The Salt Factor
Do NOT skip out on this step! Salt is an incredible balancing ingredient for the palate. The saying opposites attract has never been more true than right here. When you taste these cookies you WILL taste some salt, and that is part of why they are so incredible. It allows you to not feel overwhelmed by the sweetness. And so, it creates balance. If you’re extra crazy about salt like I am, you can add some flaked sea salt to the tops of the cookies when they’re fresh out of the oven. Incredible.
Something that makes this recipe so quick and easy is that with the shortening hack, you can completely skip any chill time in the fridge! After that, it’s straight to the oven for these puppies…and even quicker into your stomach. Just make sure you take the time to fully incorporate the ingredients and scrape the edges of the bowl.
This post is special to me in two ways:
First, it is the recipe that got me to fall in love with baking. It will always be the recipe that set me on this path to create delicious things with those that I love. So it was a no-brainer that this had to be the first post on Kaylea Bakes.
Second, I want to dedicate this post to my mom, the woman who handed down this recipe to me. I’ve never known a chocolate chip cookie better than hers. Love you, mom!
Let’s get to baking some chocolate chip cookies! Enjoy, friends!
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 and combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- In your stand-mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, blend together the butter and shortening until combined. Add the sugars and blend on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed with a spatula.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips and quickly combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until there is no more visible flour, then stop the mixer.
- Roll into 2-3″ balls and set on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges JUST set. (The middle may still seem underdone, this is how you want them!)
- Cool and Enjoy!
- Baking time may vary depending on oven and size of dough balls.
You can also try out this dough recipe for the base in my S’mores Cookie Bars!